Monday, February 23, 2009

What a weekend...

As you all know, Mady had her 4 month shots last Wednesday. Well, i'm thinking she had some kind of reaction to them. Nothing super serious, but nothing good either. She has been having diarreha poops pretty steadily since then. I think they're getting better now, but for a few days there they were so bad. Take Saturday for example. Frank, my dad and I went to Williamsport to watch my boys wrestle. We took Mady, of course. I thought i would be slick and take an extra set of clothes, along with the extra onesie that is already in the diaper bag. Well, by about 12-1pm we were on that 3rd outfit. Yup, that's right, she pooped through em all. Thank God i had a ziplock plastic bag in the diaper bag for just such an emergency. I really hope this passes soon.

------------------------

On a different note, Lent is fast approaching. For all you Catholics out there, you know what that means, and for those of you who aren't familiar with what goes on during lent, let me tell you. Lent starts on Ash Wednesday. Catholics are supposed to go to mass and get ashes on their foreheads. Also, we're supposed to "give something up". The whole point of this is that Jesus sacrificed for us for 40 days, so we are supposed to sacrifice for him for 40 days. Usually, to me anyway, this means giving up something you really enjoy for those 40 days. Then, on Easter Sunday, you can have it again. Also during lent, you can not eat meat on Fridays. Well, this year, i'm having a hard time with the whole "what do i give up" question. For the past 2 years, my go to was soda. I really love soda, i'm practically addicted. So giving it up seemed like a no brainer. Well, this year Frank has forbidden me from giving it up. He says that when I give it up, he pretty much has to too because he feels so bad drinking it in front of me, and something about me giving him dirty looks and what not when i see him with a soda (which is so untrue, i'm just trying to put myself in his body and taste the soda right along with him). We do try to give up the same thing usually, but he hates to do the same thing 2 years in a row...it's just that soda is like the perfect thing to give up! One year we tried ice cream (not a good idea, that was hard too). So if i'm not allowed to give up soda (and he also added ice cream to my banned list for this year), i'm a bit stumped as to what to give up. My Aunt Marian suggested to me yesterday after church that i "do" something, instead of giving something up. That's a good idea, but will i stick to that as easily (of difficultly) as i stick to the giving something up kind? I could always say a rosary everyday, or i could get up early once a week and go to an extra mass. I could drink more water (god knows i need that one), or i could volunteer somewhere. These are all great ideas, but how will i feel come easter? When i give something up, when Easter comes and i can have it again, i feel accomplished, like i really did something because i made it 40 whole days without something i really love and use everyday. Will doing something give me that same satisfaction? Frank suggested we give up fried foods. I don't think he realizes what he'll have to give up for that to work. Hopefully i'll think of something really soon, since i only have till tomorrow night at midnight. Suggestions are welcomed :)

2 comments:

Colleen said...

That's true-- you can do almsgiving or some form of charity rather than fasting from something.
If you do give up something, do you follow the Sunday Freebie rule? Some Catholic families break their fasts on Sundays during Lent-- ours always did, and I never knew that some people don't do this! I used to give up soda when I was little and I lived for Sunday. LOL

Sorry to hear about Mady's vax reaction. Thinktwice.com is pretty hardcore, but they have some links to some stuff to help with vax reactions.

Megan R. said...

How about swearing? I have a potty mouth, so that would be a good one for me. Chocolate? What about eating out? You might notice extra savings doing that!!

Picture of the week...

Picture of the week...